Thursday, November 3, 2011

Getting There is Getting By

I believe that personal passions are the greatest motivators. In class, we discussed money as a motivator, but money can only do so much. Really, anything that you can place a price tag on may be almost worthless in terms of motivation. Sure, initially a person may work towards a cash incentive, or try to input more effort into their job to justify making more money, but there comes a point where people realize it is not necessary, and they stop putting forth the extra effort. Essentially, the best motivators have a deeper meaning and touch upon an individual's key values. 
The best example of motivation in my life is the work I do for WSYC-FM. I put in anywhere from thirty to forty hours a week in reviewing new music for the station, contacting promoters and musicians, programming, and putting together radio charts. I don't make a penny. For me, I feel satisfied simply by helping independent musicians reach new listeners and expand their fan base. When I was thirteen, I started listening to Kevin Devine, a straight-forward singer/songwriter and amazing lyricist who was playing in coffee shops and church basements. Two weeks ago, I was able to see him perform a sold-out concert at the Highline Ballroom in NYC with a full backing band, touring off of his new album which is reaching the top of CMJ's Radio 200 charts. This is why I do what I do. Music is one of the most important things in my life, and the more I can help the people who make music, the more fulfilled I feel at the end of the day, no paychecks attached. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your claim that money can only do so much in terms of motivation. I feel that money is a prime short-term motivator, but its effects diminish as time progresses. When an individual first enters into a certain career, they will most likely be motivated by their salary simply because they are new to the industry and have not yet acquired a passion for their job to use as a motivator. However, once they have enough experience, I feel that their passion for their job, or lack-there-of, will be what motivates them to wake up and want to/not want to go to work.

    ReplyDelete