Thursday, November 17, 2011
Tearing Down Tiered Management
I find it ironic that, in Wednesday's class, the lowest group had to write slogans glorifying management when we suffered from poor management during the majority of the activity. During the activity, my group was stuffed into the dusty corner at the end of the hall away from all of the other groups, and did not receive any information until nearly forty-five minutes into the class. To top it off, the information came from another group and not our middle manager. Everyone seemed to be kept in the dark, and as a result, we achieved very little and never saw a single Goates Buck. Based on stories I've heard from other groups, the people who received Goates Bucks or direction had to approach the higher tiers of management, which we were instructed not to do. Overall, I feel like this activity showed that the exclusivity in tiered management needs to be broken down in order to respect those in higher positions, and also that lower level workers' needs must be addressed by those in higher positions in order to encourage a steady work flow. At this point, I'm interested in the discussion of the activity in class so that I can see how things worked for the middle managers and top managers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As a member of the lower group as well, my group had to go find out middle manager, and even still we didn't get the full explanation of what we were supposed to do. Also, when it was time for our group to give the slogans to the top group, they were nowhere to be found, so we just went straight to the benevolent group and made our money by cutting out the top group and selling the slogans directly to the benevolent group. So I agree that the lower level workers' needs must be addressed by the higher-ups if a steady work flow is desired.
ReplyDelete