I found it particularly interesting how Body Rituals Among the Nacirema is set to repulse the average American when, in fact, it describes the daily lifestyle of most Americans. Three facts that the article notes that I found interesting were using hogs-hair brushes to clean their mouths, visiting the holy mouth man who fills teeth with magical potions, and women sticking their heads in ovens. This all sounds somewhat disgusting, mythical, or even dangerous. However, how are these acts different from the practices of most Americans? The hogs-hair brush is a toothbrush. The holy mouth man is a dentist who fills cavities. Women who stick their heads in ovens are just taking a trip to the salon to get their hair done. The article also mentions that the Nacirema place an emphasis on the mouth and its influence over social situations. Most Americans are obsessed with their teeth, since the mouth is a gateway of communication.
The article mentions the daily practices of most Americans, but changes some semantics to make the actions sound bizzarre. I enjoy that the article forces the reader to confront and analyze his or her own habits, and even prejudgements. In part, I think this shows that we tend to frown upon habits that seem different from our own without actually analyzing them. If it sounds strange or different from the way we do something, then it must therefore be horribly weird and impractical, and as such the Nacirema are clearly barbaric.
You brought up a good point that we tend to find things wierd when they are different from how we act. this makes me take a look at our own culture and contemplate if much of what we do would be odd to people in other cultures. I like that this article got me to reflect in this apsect.
ReplyDelete