Sunday, October 30, 2011
Culture Monsters
After reading the article about Walmart's uniform change, I started thinking about other cultural changes In the Walmart scenario, they were changing the uniform from a smock to a polo shirt and khakis, and we discussed the impression the uniforms had on employees and customers, and how they spoke about Walmart's culture and values. At first I thought of uniform changes at places where I have worked, but then I started thinking outside of just clothing. One thing that I considered was Sesame Street, and changing the Cookie Monster to the Veggie Monster. I don't recall watching the show much when I was little, so I'm not really affected by the change, but I know a lot of people who dislike the change because it's simply not what they grew up with. The change was intended to send a healthier message to kids about eating, and thus trying to shape the culture of American youth. This also made me question whether Sesame Street defines youth culture, or is simply an accent, and the same for Walmart. If youth culture pulls from greater influences than just Sesame Street, the change from Cookie Monster to Veggie Monster could result in a loss of viewer interest because they can no longer relate to the characters. If, on the other hand, Sesame Street has a significant influence in defining youth culture, then perhaps the change can help to encourage healthier eating habits among American youth. In the situation with Walmart, I feel that there is an issue with who defines Walmart's culture between the employees and management. Depending on what cultural influences impact an employee outside of work, each employee may have a different take on the uniform and whether they accept or reject it. Walmart can try to change to a more business-casual uniform, but just because they change the appearance of their employees does not mean that they can make the employees buy in to the core values and culture of the company.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, I don't think changing the uniforms can completely change the ways an employee values the company. But, I can say that it can make an impact on the shoppers. Take the Cookie Monster example, we grew up watching the Cookie Monster so that is normal to us. The kids today are growing up watching the Veggie Monster. When they are our age they will look back and it will be normal to them. We grew up with Wal-Mart employees wearing smocks. The future generation is growing up with casual polo shirts and khakis. That said, their view on Wal-Mart will be a different one from ours.
ReplyDeleteI agree, because of how long Wal-Mart has been around and the image they have developed over the years, it will be very hard to change that image in the minds of the employees. They can change the outfit, but all the employees will remember the vests, and know that its not a step up, but just a replacement.
ReplyDeleteI agree as well. Those who never witnessed the smocks will never know of their existence within Wal Mart. To them, Wal Mart will be represented by the blue polo’s and khakis. However, to those who once recognized Wal Mart by the smocks, they will be scratching their heads as to what exactly the company is trying to accomplish with the uniform change. If they did not have access to the article we had, they may think that Wal Mart is deviating away from their true culture, and the executives are trying to turn the company into something it's not.
ReplyDelete